Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance?
Date
Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance?  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 19:43, Tom Lane wrote:
> This would be relatively easy to fix as far as our own buffering is
> concerned, but the thing that's needed to make it really useful is
> to prevent caching of seqscan-read pages in the kernel disk buffers.

True.

> I don't know any portable way to do that :-(

For the non-portable way of doing this, are you referring to O_DIRECT?

Even if it isn't available everywhere, it might be worth considering
this at least for the platforms on which it is supported.

-Neil