Re: [PERFORM] Postgres low end processing. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Postgres low end processing.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 14:04, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 14:08, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I can tell you from experience that you will get some odd behaviour, and even
> > connection failures, when Postgres is forced into swap by lack of memory.
>
> Why would you get a connection failure? And other than poor performance,
> why would you get "odd behavior" due to a lack of physical memory?

It would take so long for the "server" to respond that the client
might time out.

Of course, back in the day, we supported 70 people on a mainframe
w/ 1.6 MIPS and 8MB RAM.  FEPs and 3270 terminals helped, of course.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"All machines, no matter how complex, are considered to be based
on 6 simple elements: the lever, the pulley, the wheel and axle,
the screw, the wedge and the inclined plane."
Marilyn Vos Savant