Re: migrate from postgres to mysql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Cain
Subject Re: migrate from postgres to mysql
List pgsql-general
Well, I've not done it, but you could do a

  pg_dump -s dbname >schema.sql
  pg_dump -d -a dbname >data.sql

to get just the schema in one file and the data in inserts in another
file.  Then you could use a perl script driven by SQL::Translator (check
http://www.cpan.org) to translate the schema from Pg to MySQL.  Create
the schema in MySQL, then load via the inserts.

In theory, should be easy; reality on the other hand...

Good luck,
Scott

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 16:17, Arguile wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 08:49, Fabio Benavides Murillo wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I have a problem, I want to migrate the data of a postgres' database to a
> > > mysql's database, this because i need to move to a windows.
>
> You might also want to explore running PostgreSQL on windows. Currently
> you can use Cygwin to stably run the current version of Pg. There is
> also a native windows port on the way, if it's for development uses you
> might want to test the beta.
>
> > > I tried making a postgres' backup using pg_dump, but this file doesn't
> > have
> > > the insert in Transac-sql.
>
> Transact-SQL is actually Sybase's and MS SQL Server's dialect of SQL.
>

> Perhaps you're referring to the use of COPY instead of INSERT
> statements? If so see the help for pg_dump as you can have data dumped
> as individual inserts (the -d and -D switches).
>
> You'll probably have to do some editing of the dump by hand as well; to
> change sequences to MySQL's auto_increment, remove any schema usages,
> etc. I'm unaware of any automated tools as not many people migrate in
> that direction ;).

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                         cain@cshl.org
GMOD Coordinator (http://www.gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087