Re: your mail - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Network Administrator
Subject Re: your mail
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net>:

> Yanhong,
>
> Please post instead of sending private email.
>
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:06:23PM -0500, Yanhong.Li-1 wrote:
> > I got know your email from postgreSQL related website.
> >
> > I am a grudate student and doing my thesis on distributed database
> > system in ad-hoc wireless network. Our group is fundded by National
> > Science Foundation. We are going to prototype the DDBMS(Distributed
> > Dababase System) based on algorithms we developed during the past few
> > years, such as caching, replictaion, and transaction. Our purpose is
> > to test our algorithms and we will test it in the real world such as
> > firefight department in our local area.
> >
> > Our environment is a small wirless network consisted of some PDAs and
> > some laptops. In this network, the laptops will install the
> > full-fledged postgreSQL databases as database servers, and PDAs will
> > only install the query-processing part of the postgreSQL database as
> > clients.
> >
> > The possible platforms are:
> >
> > 1. Laptops: Windows + postgreSQL; PDAs: Windows CE + postgreSQL
> > querying part.
> > 2. Laptops: Linux + postgreSQL; PDAs: Windows CE + postgreSQL querying
> > part.
> > 3. Laptops: Linux + postgreSQL: PDAs: Unix, or linux palm OS +
> > postgreSQL querying part.
> >
> > My question is:
> > Which one is more likely to be configured out successfully? If none of
> > them is not listed, please give me your suggestions.
>
> Sorry, but I'm not qualified to address the above.
>
> Jason
>
> --
> PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
> Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

Yanhong,

I think any of those platforms are via as long as the wireless net is stable in
ad hoc mode.  I'm actually curious as to why you are going ad hoc instead of
infrastructure (are you multicasting?).  Security-wise I could see some issues
with ad hoc mode in a real scenario.

In any event, I think it comes down to the client implementation.  I just
installed pgAdmin III on my Linux (Dell) laptop with a NetGear WG511 (thats the
11g NIC) and because it is cross platform it looks just the same the Winblowz 98
(Dell) with a Linksys card (also 802.11g).  That is slightly different than your
setup but if you would build an app speaking the native protocol on the PDA's
then I would think most of your work is in the algorithms you are designing.

--
Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications

This email account is being host by: