Re: BUG #5118: start-status-insert-fatal - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5118: start-status-insert-fatal
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Suppose that after the postmaster is fully up, it writes a file
>> $PGDATA/postmaster.ports, with contents along the lines of
>>
>> 5432
>> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

> The listen_addresses setting would need to figure in, too.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how we'd want to deal with IP addresses,
but in principle there could be a line for each postmaster socket not
only the Unix-domain socket.

> This seems likely to overlap the review I was soon going to do of the
> differences between pg_ctl behavior and what is required for LSB
> conformance.

Agreed, it would be good to do a holistic review of what pg_ctl needs.

            regards, tom lane