Re: could not stat promote trigger file leads to shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: could not stat promote trigger file leads to shutdown
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2019-Nov-15, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If we add a GUC-check-hook test, then the problem of misconfiguration
>> is reduced to the previously unsolved problem that we have crappy
>> feedback for erroneous on-the-fly configuration changes.  So it's
>> still unsolved, but at least we've got one unsolved problem not two.

> I am now against this kind of behavior, because nowadays it is common
> to have external orchestrating systems stopping and starting postmaster
> on their own volition.

> If this kind of misconfiguration causes postmaster refuse to start, it
> can effectively become a service-shutdown scenario which requires the
> DBA to go temporarily mad.

By that argument, postgresql.conf could contain complete garbage
and the postmaster should still start.  I'm not willing to say
that an "external orchestrating system" doesn't need to take
responsibility for putting valid info into the config file.