Re: best arrangement of 3 disks for (insert) performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Will LaShell
Subject Re: best arrangement of 3 disks for (insert) performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
I would like to point out though on the PERC controllers that are LSI
based ( Megaraid )  there -are- settings that can be changed to fix any
o the performance issues. Check the linux megaraid driver list archives
to see the full description. I've seen it come up many times and
basically all the problems have turned up resolved.

Will

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 10:03, Thom Dyson wrote:

> The Dell PERC controllers have a very strong reputation for terrible
> performance.  If you search the archives of the Dell Linux Power Edge list
> (dell.com/linux), you will find many, many people who get better
> performance from software RAID, rather than the hw RAID on the PERC.
> Having said that, the 3/SC might be one of the better PERC controllers.  I
> would spend and hour or two and benchmark hw vs. sw before I committed to
> either one.
>
> Thom Dyson
> Director of Information Services
> Sybex, Inc.
>
> On 9/12/2003 9:55:40 AM, Richard Jones <rj@last.fm> wrote:
> > The machine is coming from dell, and i have the option of a
> > PERC 3/SC RAID Controller (32MB)
> > or software raid.
> >
> > does anyone have any experience of this controller?
> > its an additional £345 for this controller, i'd be interested to know
> what
> > people think - my other option is to buy the raid controller separately,
> > which appeals to me but i wouldnt know what to look for in a raid
> > controller.
> >
> > that raid controller review site sounds like a good idea :)
> >
> > Richard.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Attachment