Re: opinion on RAID choice - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: opinion on RAID choice
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 11:47, Greg Spiegelberg wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

> >>Also depends on your filesystem and volume manager.  As near as I can
> >>tell, you do _not_ want to use RAID 5 with Veritas.
> >

> > Why should Veritas care?  Or is it that Veritas has a high overhead
> > of small block writes?
> >

> I agree with Scott however only when it's hardware RAID 5 and only
> certain hardware implementations of it.  A Sun A1000 RAID 5 is not
> equal to a Sun T3.  Putting disk technologies aside, the A1000 array
> XOR function is in software whereas the T3 is implemented in hardware.
> Additionally, most external hardware based RAID systems have some
> form of battery backup to ensure all data is written.
>
> Veritas Volume Manager and even Linux, HP-UX and AIX LVM works just
> fine when slicing & dicing but not for stitching LUN's together.  IMHO,
> if you have the $$ for VxVM buy a hardware based RAID solution as well
> and let it do the work.

Ah, shows how isolated, or behind the times, I am.  I thought that
Veritas just handled backups.  Never cared about looking at it to
do anything, else we always use h/w RAID storage controllers.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

After listening to many White House, Pentagon & CENTCOM
briefings in both Gulf Wars, it is my firm belief that most
"senior correspondents" either have serious agendas that don't
get shaken by facts, or are dumb as dog feces.