Re: The "Why Postgres not MySQL" bullet list - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: The "Why Postgres not MySQL" bullet list
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Very interesting read -- and I'm only through section 1.  Having used
MySQL for a while some are known to me, many others are new.

One particularly interesting item is Section 1.7, DEFAULT 'now()' as
this is also a PostgreSQL gotcha.  See 'nowtest' attached.

Anyway, I noticed a few times the spec has been mentioned as being
broken, ignored or otherwise, but the relevant sections not pointed to.

Would you like a hand in tracing down quotes where spec in these areas?

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 14:47, Ian Barwick wrote:
> Just a brief note to say I am still working on it but it's
> taking longer than I anticipated. There's a lot of involved
> detail and checking, and I'm up to 500 lines of text
> already without even having started on transaction support.
> I think this will develop into a longer technical document
> which will serve as the background for a shorter
> bullet-list type paper.
>
> In the meantime here's some reference material I
> put together:
>   http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html
>

> Ian Barwick
> barwick@gmx.net