Re: Hardware recommendations to scale to silly load - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chris Bowlby
Subject Re: Hardware recommendations to scale to silly load
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 23:59, Ron Johnson wrote:

> What a fun exercises.  Ok, lets see:
> Postgres 7.3.4
> RH AS 2.1
> 12GB RAM
> motherboard with 64 bit 66MHz PCI slots
> 4 - Xenon 3.0GHz (1MB cache) CPUs
> 8 - 36GB 15K RPM as RAID10 on a 64 bit 66MHz U320 controller
>     having 512MB cache (for database)
> 2 - 36GB 15K RPM as RAID1 on a 64 bit 66MHz U320 controller
>     having 512MB cache (for OS, swap, WAL files)
> 1 - library tape drive plugged into the OS' SCSI controller.  I
>     prefer DLT, but that's my DEC bias.
> 1 - 1000 volt UPS.

 Be careful here, we've seen that with the P4 Xeon's that are
hyper-threaded and a system that has very high disk I/O causes the
system to be sluggish and slow. But after disabling the hyper-threading
itself, our system flew..

--
Chris Bowlby <excalibur@hub.org>
Hub.Org Networking Services