Re: ext3 block size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Robert Norris
Subject Re: ext3 block size
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 09:47, DeJuan Jackson wrote:
> Don't know the answer to your question, but I thought I would just
> pipe in and say that if this is an SMP (has multiple processors) Linux
> box you don't want to use ext3!!!
>
> I used ext3 on my SMP box here at work and now I can't have children
> (I guess it would help if I got a wife first)!!
> But in all seriousness SMP + ext3 = BAD(unpredictable crashes
> depending loosely related to system load).
>

> Wilson A. Galafassi Jr. wrote:
> > hello.
> > my database size is 5GB. what is the block size recommend?
> > thanks
> > wilson

We have about 14 dual-CPU Athlon and PIII machines here, all using ext3,
all with lots of use (3 of them average >100 db queries/second for
several hours for example).

No problems. We were getting lots of crashes under 2.4.x where x<12, but
that's ancient history, and only on the Athlons.

    Stephen

--
Stephen Robert Norris <srn@commsecure.com.au>
CommSecure Australia Pty Ltd