Re: [osdldbt-general] Re: [PERFORM] OSDL Database Test Suite 3 is - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Thomas
Subject Re: [osdldbt-general] Re: [PERFORM] OSDL Database Test Suite 3 is
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 09:39, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 4 Aug 2003 at 15:33, Manfred Koizar wrote:
>
> > On 01 Aug 2003 11:04:10 -0700, Jenny Zhang <jenny@osdl.org> wrote:
> > >A sample OSDL-DBT3 test result report can be found at:
> > >http://khack.osdl.org/stp/276912/
> > >
> > >Your comments are welcome,
>
> I could not get postgresql .conf so I will combine the comments.
>
> 1. Effective cache size, already mentioned
> 2. Sort memory already mentioned.
> 3. Was WAL put on different drive?
> 4. Can you try with autovacuum daemon and 7.4beta when it comes out..
> 5. What was the file system? Ext2/Ext3/reiser/XFS?
>
> <Scratching head>
>
> Is there any comparison available for other databases.. Could be interesting to
> see..:-)

OSDL has run workloads using the SAP DB and PostgreSQL.  However, each
of the workloads have been tweaked to work around deficiencies of each
database with respect to the TPC benchmarks from with the DBT workloads
are derrived.  Since there are extensive modifications to each workload
an that the fact that each workload operates under different situations
(SAP uses raw disk, PostgreSQL uses a file system), it is not beneficial
to compare numbers between different databases.

Remember, the intent is to provide a tool kit that can be used to
benefit the community.  From other postings, it appears that these
workloads we have available can be used to help the PostgreSQl community
develop a better database; one that is better able to handle the kinds
of stress these workloads can produce when scaled to large database
sizes.

We have been using these kits to characterize the abilities of the Linux
kernel.  To show that these workloads work with two different databases
implies that Linux is capable of supporting these two databases.

The other tool kits, by the way, are being ported to PostgreSQL as well.
Help is needed to tune the workloads to exercise PostgreSQL better.  It
would be great if you could get involved with the porting efforts and
assist with the tuning of the PostgreSQL kit.