Re: One to many query question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Eric Clark
Subject Re: One to many query question
Date
List pgsql-sql
> This doesn't allow multiple genre's per CD, though, does it?  A CD
> can only have 1 genre_id.  I would like the ability to have multiple
> genres, in which case a third table is necessary:
>
> CREATE TABLE cd_genres (
>     cd_id integer,
>     genre_id integer
> );
>
> cd_id references cd.id and genre_id references genre.genre_id.
>
> This still requires the complex LEFT JOIN query from my first post,
> too, I think, *plus* an extra join between cd_genres and genre.

Sorry, the cd_genre table would be the way to do it.  This was a fairly
complex problem so I created the tables in a test database and wrote a
few queries that I think solve the problem for you, depending on how you
want select to return the genre list.

Here's a couple queries that will only get cd's that are not part of
Rock.

SELECT c.*
FROM cd AS c
WHERE 'Rock' NOT IN (SELECT g.genre FROM genre AS g, cd_genre AS cg
WHERE g.genre_id = cg.genre_id AND cg.cd_id = c.cd_id);

SELECT c.*
FROM cd AS c
WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM genre AS g, cd_genre AS cg WHERE
g.genre_id = cg.genre_id AND cg.cd_id = c.cd_id AND g.genre = 'Rock');

The second one should be faster.  The next query will show all cd's that
not exclusively Rock. (OK Computer should be in the result)

SELECT c.*
FROM cd AS c, cd_genre AS cg, genre AS g
WHERE c.cd_id = cg.cd_id
AND cg.genre_id = g.genre_id
AND g.genre != 'Rock';

If you add g.genre to any of the above queries you will get one row per
cd+genre combination.  I dont know of any way to make that a delimited
list other than writing a function.  So I wrote one for fun.  The
argument is the cd_id.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION genre_list (integer) RETURNS TEXT AS '
DECLARE   cdid ALIAS FOR $1;   return_val TEXT;   r RECORD;
BEGIN   FOR r IN SELECT g.genre               FROM genre AS g, cd_genre AS cg              WHERE g.genre_id =
cg.genre_idAND cg.cd_id = cdid LOOP       IF return_val IS NULL THEN           return_val := r.genre;       ELSE
  return_val := return_val || '', '' || r.genre;       END IF;   END LOOP;   RETURN return_val;

END
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' STABLE RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT SECURITY INVOKER;

Now I see that while composing this email some others have replied with
more simple solutions.  For your case I prefer the added tables as they
enforce the possible list of genre's.  Its also handy to keep them
seperate to get the list of genre's to display in a UI.

Eric

ps: aliasing all the table names is just my habit, do it however you see
fit.  I also dont like to make my table names plural, its implied.