Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Another good reason for per-database directories under the tablespace is
> to prevent directories from containing too many files.

Actually, I would take that as an reason not to have database
directories.

If the number of files becomes a concern, we would need some kind of a
hashing algorithm to disperse them appropriately.  The database
directory would just get in the way without really adding anything. Is
1000 per files as a directory limit still the rule of thumb for a limit?
A single TB sized db would start to run into those types of limits.