max length of sql select statement ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From markus brosch
Subject max length of sql select statement ?
Date
Re: max length of sql select statement ?  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi All!

I was searching the archive and was wondering why nobody asked this
strange(!) question (or I've not found it?):

"What is the max allowed length of a sql statement or query?"
I want to combine hundrets or thousands 'OR' within a select statement.
Possible or not (e.g: SELECT * FROM table WHERE col='a' OR col='b' OR
col='c' OR ...... )

This would be a very "dirty" or some would say, a "horrible" solution;

but how are you searching through your table with sql, when your SELECT
is against a collection of different elements (e.g. Array of Strings,
which should fit on one column and return all records which fit)

Hope for help
cheers Markus - sql beginner ;-)