Re: Fwd: Re: enabling postgresql by default - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Fwd: Re: enabling postgresql by default
Date
Re: Fwd: Re: enabling postgresql by default  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 11:36, scott.marlowe wrote:
<snip/reorder>
> Rather than include ANY interface, I think it would be wiser to only use
> the connect libs that are already on a server.  I got the feeling Sterling
> agreed with me on that point, by the way.

Given that Sterling recommend the inclusion of sqlite as a default, i
don't see that's how you came to that conclusion...

> But my argument is that NOTHING should be enabled "by default" unless it
> already has connection libraries.  Including a static (i.e. not updated
> when postgresql gets updated) connection library is a bad thing, since any
> bug in the connection lib will live on in the staticly linked connection
> code shipped with PHP.
>
> If the connection libs for DB2, Oracle, and Postgresql are found on the
> machine, then PHP should autoconfigure to use them.  If they're not there,
> then including them in the php distro is short sighted and likely to cause
> as many problems as it fixes.
>
> Keep in mind that including the MySQL libs with PHP was a mixed bag, since
> using a different mysql connect lib for PHP and another for apache if you
> use mod_auth_mysql would result in a crashing server situation that was
> suboptimal.

All of which are valid view points, but I think miss the mark since the
php guys seem to have moved past the point of deciding "if something
should be included" and are now deciding "what will be included".

If they want to level the playing field and not include anything I am
fine with that, and I think we all could support that, but unless you
think it is detrimental to postgresql for them to include static pgsql
libs in php (which I do not) it seems we should lobby for them to put in
postgresql libs over anything else.

Robert Treat