Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 10:52, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> PLEASE NOTE -
>
> I worked at EDS for a while managing UNIX boxes on the front line.
> Oracle, even with clustering, did not always fail over or work properly.
> Many times it had to be manually failed over because the database didn't
> detect that one was down.  In other cases, the drivers were hosed and we
> had to restart the entire application (on ~80 different boxes) to get them
> to point to the new live target.
>
> Don't believe the hype.  It's just that - hype.  It's better than nothing,
> but certainly not "unbreakable".

What (exact, if possible) version of Oracle?

[snip]
| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
|  thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear  |
|  thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV)               |