Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 17:22, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On 5 May 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

[snip]
> > What controller do you use for IDE hot-swapping and auto-rebuild?
> > 3Ware?
>
> Linux, and I don't do hot swapping with IDE, just hot rebuild from a
> spare drive.  My servers are running SCSI, by the way, only the
> workstations are running IDE.  With the saved cost of a decent RAID
> controller (good SCSI controllers are still well over $500 most the time)
> I can afford enough hot spares to never have to worry about changing one
> out during the day.

Ah, I guess that drives go out infrequently enough that shutting
it down at night for a swap-out isn't all that onerous...

What controller model do you use?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |