Re: plpgsql Question.. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: plpgsql Question..
Date
Re: plpgsql Question..  (Rajesh Kumar Mallah <rmallah@trade-india.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Why select at all?  Just update them both with the below?

sourcetable)), <field2> = coalesce(<field2>, (SELECT <field2> FROM
sourcetable));

This will update field to be the old value of field, if one existed, or
the value from the sourcetable if it was null.

If speed is an issue, look into an UPDATE with the FROM clause to do a
join rather than several sub-selects.

Build the above query by passing the function a list of fields via
get_columns() as used below.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc