Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 16:26, scott.marlowe wrote:
> Yet there is no equivalent materialized view that puts the data together
> for the user.  I don't know about you, but show table tablename is a bit
> easier to grasp for beginners than the above sequence of SQL statements.

Granted -- but I don't think that replacing or augmenting the system
catalogs with a set of SHOW commands is a good idea (which is what you
suggested originally). IMHO enhancing the system catalogs by adding
views that encapsulate more of the \ command functionality into the
backend is a good idea, and one that should be implemented eventually.
AFAIK that's been the consensus for some time...

Cheers,

Neil