Re: contrib and licensing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: contrib and licensing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Brown kirjutas E, 07.04.2003 kell 04:39:

> And that means that kicking non-BSD stuff out of contrib doesn't
> really help anyone very much, if any...but it does hurt us in that
> some potentially very valuable things will no longer be considered for
> inclusion in the distribution.  So from here it looks like there's
> more (perhaps much more) to be lost by making contrib BSD-only than
> there is to be gained.

The current move-everything-possible-out-of-contrib seems to be
motivated by "less is more" philosophy, i.e. the standard tarball / cvs
update is considered too big.

Licensing is used as additional guideline, partly because of fear of
some licenses being viral.

> It would be one thing if we had a lot of people clamoring for removal
> of non-BSD stuff from contrib because they'd actually been burned by
> licensing issues.

If licensing is a non-issue then it is be easy to change the license ;)

> > But I haven't seen anything to that effect on this
> list, at least, and we've had at least one GPL item in there
> (pgcrypto) since late 2000.

I guess this is also being moved to gborg.

Hannu