Re: Postgres logs w/ Logrotate - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Postgres logs w/ Logrotate
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 14:35, Renê Salomão wrote:
> Hi list,
>
>  Is there any extra configuration to run postgresql 7.3.2 logs
> with logrotate?
>  I tried the following script at /etc/logrotate.d:
>
> /var/log/postgresql/postgresql.log {
>   daily
>   rotate 5
>   compress
>   create
> }
>
>  the problem is that after it does its first rotation (create a
> compressed copy of the log) and the new log file created, any new
> message originated from postgresql is not saved in log file...
>
>  I do start postgres with:
>
>   pg_ctl start -o -i -l /var/log/postgresql/postgresql.log
>

>  What am I doing wrong? Does Postgresql need to be restarted? How can I
> do it?

You probably need the copytruncate option in your logrotate script.  The
postmaster does not close its logfile, so it continues to write to the
file you have rotated out.

     "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to
      forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all
      unrighteousness."           I John 1:9