Re: Point in time recovery? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Point in time recovery?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 12:13, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:25:29AM +0000, eivind.arnesen@netcom.no wrote:
> > In order to recommend and support PostgreSQL, we need to make sure
> > that our data will be safe using PostgreSQL.
>
> [. . .]
>
> > to load the last backup from pg_dump.  However, what about transactions
> > that has occured after the last backup? Would we be able to roll
> > forward to a particular point in time, so that the chances for data
> > loss is minimal?  I've heard that this feature is currently missing,
> > but that it will be introduced in version 7.4 which should be out this
> > year.
> >
> > My problem is that we cannot recommend this product unless this feature
> > is present.

<snip good suggestions on replication>

ISTM that this thread misses the state of how resilient postgresql is to
data corruption in the first place. Problems like power outages and
server crashes (at either the os/kernel/application level) are almost
certainly not going to cause data loss. I could see possible issues with
hardware problems, but quality ram and raid can go a long way toward
minimizing these risks. While I suppose it's not 100%, nothing ever is.

Robert Treat