Re: Very stupid backup I made - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James Gregory
Subject Re: Very stupid backup I made
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 23:48, Juraj Fedel wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:59:38AM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > man pg_dump
> >
> > Bye
> >  Shridhar
>
>     I will remmember this. For shure I will. If I was not so compulsive
> maybe I could save myself lot of trouble with little reading before doiiing
> something stupid.
> Thanks a lot. This will help in the future.

As an item of curiosity - is there a way to resurrect the database from
a backup of the files? I understand that if the backup was taken while
the db was running it would be in an inconsistent state, but surely if
the whole thing was there postgres would be able to roll back the
transactions?

Why can't postgres be restored from file backups? Is there a hack to do
it?

James.