Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 02:45, cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com wrote:
> 3.7.1 Purpose
> /etc contains configuration files and directories that are specific to the
> current system.
>
> 3.7.4  Indicates that
>
> "Host-specific configuration files for add-on application software packages
> must be installed within the directory /etc/opt/<package>, where <package> is
> the name of the subtree in /opt where the static data from that package is
> stored."
>
> 3.12 indicates: /opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application
> software packages.
>
> A package to be installed in /opt must locate its static files in a separate
> /opt/<package> directory tree, where <package> is a name that describes the
> software package.
> It would make most sense, based on FHS, for PostgreSQL information to
> assortedly reside in:
>
> - /etc/opt/postgresql or /etc/postgresql, for static config information;

I feel that /opt (and therefore /etc/opt) are intended for the use of
vendors; so commercial packages designed to fit in with FHS should use
those.  I don't think they are for locally built stuff.

No matter; it illustrates the main point, which is that these things
should be easily configurable.

========================================   "God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause his      face to shine
uponus."          Psalms 67:1