Re: password() function? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: password() function?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 10:59, Berend Tober wrote:

> > is there a password() function in postgres?  something similar to
> > mySQL?
> >

> I'm not sure why, when you post to a postgresql news group, you would
> assume knowlege of how some other product works. That's kind of like
> using Microsoft products as your frame of reference on an open-source
> news group. Bad form. It would be more useful if you pointed out more
> specifically the functionality you are inquiring about.

I think it's worse etiquette to flame people when they are just trying
to get help. If his question doesn't make sense to you, ask for
clarification, don't criticize him for asking the question in a way that
you don't understand. And besides, given that everyone knows people are
switching from mysql to postgresql by the thousands, he probably just
took for granted that some of the people here would know what he was
talking about without having to give a full breakdown.

Peter, do some searching on pgcrypto, you'll find what your looking for.

Robert Treat