Vacuuming DVs with few/no updates? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Preston
Subject Vacuuming DVs with few/no updates?
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi all,

Just wondering about how useful the vacuumdb functionality is for a database
that pretty much only ever gets inserts/selects.

I've got a database that is intended for next-to-no deletion of records, which
is where I see the vacuum facility mostly intended for. I.e., while there'll be
the occasional record edits, these edits will primarily be of the form of
adjusting integer records (and therefore shouldn't adjust any space requirements
for a row).

I'm thinking that with this database I'll configure vacuumdb to only run once a
month or so. But before I do that I want to make sure I'm not missing some other
important functionality that it does...

Cheers,

-Preston de Guise.

--