Re: Win32 Powerfail testing - results - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Win32 Powerfail testing - results
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page kirjutas E, 03.02.2003 kell 18:51:
> Well the results are finally in. Hopefully we can concentrate on putting
> them right, rather than having a round of "told you so's" :-)
>
> I modified the test program slightly to improve the consistency checks.
> The updated version is attached.
>
> Regards, Dave.
>
> System
> ======
>
> Gigabyte GA-6VTXD Motherboard
> Dual 1GHz PIII Processors
> 1Gb Non-ECC RAM
> Fujitsu MPG3240AH IDE Disk Drive
>
> Enhanced IDE Performance disabled in the BIOS.
>
> Test
> ====
>
> Test program run from a seperate machine.
> 20 Tests per OS.
> Powerfail randomly applied.

Your hardware should also be able to run Postgres on BeOS

http://www.bebits.com/app/2752

Being the only non-unix "port" before/besides win32, it could be an
interesting excercise.

You should be able to get and installable BeOS itself from SourceForge

http://sourceforge.net/projects/crux/

> Windows 2000 Testing
> ====================

Is this NTFS ?

Any possibility of trying the same tests with SCSI disks ?

> Write back cache on IDE disk disabled.
> Clean installation of Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack 3
>
> Run | Errors Detected
>  01 | None
>  02 | None
>  03 | None
>  04 | None
>  05 | None
>  06 | None
>  07 | COUNT CHECK - Duplicate or missing rows detected (10262)!!
>  08 | None
>  09 | DISTINCT CHECK - Duplicate or missing rows detected (9893)!!

I remember having problems with UNIQUE columns having duplicate values a
few versions back on Linux-ext2-IDE. Could this be the same problem or
must it be something completely different ?

>     | COUNT CHECK - Duplicate or missing rows detected (9893)!!
>  10 | None
>  11 | None
>  12 | None
>  13 | None
>  14 | COUNT CHECK - Duplicate or missing rows detected (10024)!!
>  15 | None
>  16 | None
>  17 | None
>  18 | None
>  19 | None
>  20 | None
>
> Linux Testing
> =============
>
> Clean installation of Slackware Linux 8.1 on ext3
> Kernel 2.4.18
>
> Run | Errors Detected
>  01 | None
>  20 | None

BTW, are the tests portable enough to run also on MSSQL, Oracle and DB2
?

I know that you can't publish exact results, but perhaps something like
the GreatBridge results - the one that runs only on Win32 did so-and-so,
the one that has 'i' at the end of version number this, and the one
whose name consists of two letters and a number did that ?

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>