Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 21:49, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> * IPV6 data types

Looks like this will be in 7.4, in one form or another.

> - The standard table modification tactic (that I also use) or renaming table
> to *_old and creating new one breaks because the primary key of the new
> table is assigned the same name as the PK of the old, causing CREATE TABLE
> to fail.  This is really annoying.  I think that auto-generated names should
> never collide.

Can this be accomplished without making auto-generated names ugly? And
if not, is it worth the trade-off?

> - I suggested that if pg_dump could dump individual schemas, then they could
> move their 'don't backup' tables to another schema, and just dump the other
> one.

FYI, I submitted a patch for this a couple weeks ago (although it hasn't
been applied yet...) -- it should be in 7.4

Cheers,

Neil