Re: New Portal in Place, DNS switched ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: New Portal in Place, DNS switched ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 13:26, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, mlw wrote:
> > The PHP site shows adds.

Ok -- but the vast majority (say, 95%) of OSS sites don't show ads.

> And I just checked ... so does Sourceforge ...

Not on project websites, though.

In any case, I'd be fine with showing ads if there was a demonstrated
need for them (and no reasonable alternatives could be found). However,
that doesn't seem to be the case: the argument that ads are a necessary
compensation for mirrors is not convincing IMHO, given the huge number
of other OSS projects that use mirrors, and the relatively tiny number
that show ads as a result. If there's a better reason why we need to
show ads, what is it?

Cheers,

Neil