Re: RedHat attitude - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alberto Caso
Subject Re: RedHat attitude
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
    Sorry for adding a new message to this thread that leads to nowhere...

> If the customer acquires RHDB, they'll think they've got RHDB.  Only
> if they bother to do a bit of digging will they find that they
> actually have PostgreSQL.

    Just having a look at RedHat's site, I found the RHDB product page [1],
where the word "PostgreSQL" appears 4 times.

    I followed the link that took me to the project's site [2] and there I
found "PostgreSQL" several more times and a banner [3] where under "Red
Hat Database 2.1" they have placed "Powered by PostgreSQL", and it seems
that it is also present on the product's box. They seem to present their
product always followed by sentences as "powered by PostgreSQL" and the
like.

    Reading RHDB manuals, the screenshots in [4] make me think that actualy
any user installing it is clearly adviced of the PostgreSQL presence.

    Anyway, PostgreSQL's license allows Red Hat to rename it to whatever
they want and they are not obliged do so clear mentions of PostgreSQL.
The fact that they mention it once and again for marketing purposes
should make us happy.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/software/database/
[2] http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/
[3] http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/images/rhdb2.png