Re: wat is the max number of rows that can be returned - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: wat is the max number of rows that can be returned
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 10:55, Tom Lane wrote:
> Joel Burton <joel@joelburton.com> writes:
> > And you're wondering what will happen if you write a query that returns
> > more than 2 billion rows (2000 million)?
>
> The first thing that will happen is that you'll run out of memory in the
> client process to store all those rows in your PGresult.
>
> You can handle ridiculously-large query results by opening a cursor
> and fetching reasonable-sized chunks with FETCH; it might take awhile
> but in theory you could process an indefinitely large result that way.
>
> I don't think the int-sized result of PGntuples is going to be a issue
> in the foreseeable future --- platforms that could hold >2G tuples are
> no doubt going to use a wider size of int.

Besides, at 100ns per insert, it would take 33,000 years to populate
the table...

Also, those 9.2x10^18 records at 8 bytes each would need 7.3x10^19
bytes.  And that's not even considering that each record will be
considerably larger that just the 8 bytes.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another    |
|  way of living"                                            |
|    Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"                |