Re: Locale-dependent case conversion in {identifier} - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Locale-dependent case conversion in {identifier}
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 01:40, Nicolai Tufar wrote:
> And I happen to have bad luck to use PostgreSQL with Turkish locale. And, as
> you
> may know our "I" is not your "I":
>
>     pgsql=# create table a(x char(1));
>     CREATE TABLE
>     pgsql=# grant SELECT ON a to PUBLIC;
>     ERROR:  user "public" does not exist
>     pgsql=#
>
> Oracle, the second best database I have does seem to convert relation names
> in
> locale-dependent fassion:
>
>    SQL> alter session set NLS_LANGUAGE='TURKISH';
>    Session altered.
>    SQL> create table a(x char(1));
>    Table created.
>    SQL> grant select on a to PUBLIC;
>    Grant succeeded.

could it just be that we store identifiers in lower case, whereas most others
(including SQL spec IIRC)have them in upper case ?

Could you try the grant in both databases also in lower case ?

i.e.:

grant select on a to public;

Hannu