Re: caveats upgrading from 7.0.3 to 7.2.x - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: caveats upgrading from 7.0.3 to 7.2.x
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 13:21, Ian Barwick wrote:
> On Friday 22 November 2002 18:12, Dave [Hawk-Systems] wrote:
> > am preparing to upgrade the postgres on our servers to 7.2.x from 7.0.3
> >
> > aside from a dump restore requirements and backing up the 7.0.3
> > installation just in case something goes awry, is there anything from a
> > data type or syntax that will cause any major hurdles as a result of this
> > upgrade?
> >
> > Appreciate any forewarnings.
>
> IIRC there aren't any negative syntax changes, i.e. which
> will break something. timestamp() has gone away, and
> SELECT ... LIMIT x,y has been replaced with SELECT ... LIMIT x OFFSET y
> in 7.3.

I tested this about 9 months ago, and the timestamp syntax was an issue
(due to changes in how timezones were referenced) so you'll want to
check that.  I also remember some issues we had because our lead C
developer had created some functions that generated invalid sql
statements that we're accepted in 7.0.x but rejected on 7.2.x, so you'll
need to check your application for issues like that that might crop up.
I might suggest you take a look at 7.3 which, while currently in beta,
will be released within a fortnight.

Robert Treat