Re: OO Patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OO Patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Chris <chris@bitmead.com> writes:
> And then I couldn't figure out where the project is heading, so I didn't
> know what to work on, so I didn't. I want to know up front if PQ is
> disappearing in favour of Corba or not.

At this point, I'd say no one knows that (although if Alex's opinion
of Corba is correct, I'd bet we won't be going to Corba after all...)
You can wait and see, or you can make a guess and expend effort on the
basis of a guess.

My guess is that libpq won't be going away for a very long time.  Even
if we adopted Corba or some other new protocol, we'd have a lot of
legacy clients that we'd want to support for the foreseeable future.
So it's probably worth improving libpq even if you think we will/should
adopt something else in the long run.