Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?
Date
Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 21:54, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Rod Taylor wrote:

> > > Hmm.  Ok.  How about a cross-version/upgrade note somewhere?
> >
> > Probably worth while mentioning on the psql client page that clients are
> > only expected to work with the version they're released with.  Some
> > functionality may be missing otherwise.
>
> We have always allowed old clients to connect to new servers, but often
> break new servers connecting to old clients.  I think this is documented
> somewhere, but it rarely comes up as an issue.
So, what do we do in this case, where an OLDER client (<=7.2.3) connects
to a new (>=7.3) server, and BASIC stuff like backslash commands BREAK
because of the schema stuff?

IT NEEDS TO BE AT LEAST DOCUMENTED PROMINENTLY.

(IMHO).

LER