Re: release announcements (FM, etc.) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: release announcements (FM, etc.)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 22:12, Neil Conway wrote:
> I noticed that the Freshmeat entry for PostgreSQL has not been updated
> for the 7.3 beta releases; it probably should be. AFAIK, the beta
> releases have also not been announced on sites like LWN, LinuxToday,
> and so on. Should this be made part of the release process?
>
> (The reasoning should be obvious -- a lot of people will probably want
> to know that a new release is in the works, even if they might not
> install a beta on a production machine. Being aware of a new beta
> release allows people to install and use it for development, as well
> as let people know what new features will be ready for production use
> soon. Plus, the PR points we get are always a plus ...)

Yeah, I am thinking of doing something like for the sourceforge site.
For phppgadmin we have an unstable package that we put beta releases in,
for postgresql we could create an unstable package and then add the
various beta's and RC's until the actual release. Mark, I've already
talked with Justin about helping out with the sourceforge site, I'm
familiar with freshmeats system too if you want to offload updating that
I think I can pick it up since it would be pretty similar tasks.

Robert Treat