Re: Using the right tool - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Using the right tool
Date
List pgsql-general
"Nathan Hopper" <nathanh@broszengineering.com> writes:
> But for this task, I've encountered little in the way of stories from users
> who have used Postgres to catalog image data, despite fairly intense
> digging. The thing is, these are not small images by any means. So what
> works well for a few thousand < 250k JPEGS might not work so well for a few
> thousand 25-125 meg TIFFs and SID files.
> Can anyone suggest some references for storage of binary objects of this
> magnitude (100 gig)?

Nathan, I'd suggest talking to the guys at Refractions Inc (Dave Blasby
and Paul Ramsey).  I'm pretty sure they have direct experience with
exactly this sort of thing ... but I dunno how closely they follow the
PG mailing lists, so they might not see your request.

            regards, tom lane