Re: a quick question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: a quick question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 16:44, scott.marlowe wrote:
> Hey, me and a few other folks were having a discussion off list, and the
> subject of inserts and missing columns came up. you may remember the point
> in the "I'm done" post by Bruce.  It said:
>
> > o -Disallow missing columns in INSERT ... VALUES, per ANSI
> > > What is this, and why is it marked done?
>
> We used to allow INSERT INTO tab VALUES (...) to skip the trailing
> columns and automatically fill in null's.  That is fixed, per ANSI.
>
> So, are we gonna make postgresql throw an error when someone tries to
> submit an insert with too few columns to match up to the implicit column
> list, or not?

There was a vote to keep previous behaviour when the column list wasn't
supplied, so it's not to ANSI spec, it's to our improved version ;)

INSERT INTO (...) VALUES (...) will not allow you to skip value entries,
but the keyword DEFAULT is available now, so it shouldn't be much of an
issue.

--  Rod Taylor