Re: - pg_dump issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: - pg_dump issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 21:19, Tom Lane wrote:
> In the meantime, I think that we shouldn't mess with pg_dump's basically
> OID-order-driven dump ordering.  It works in normal cases, and adding
> arbitrary rules to it to fix one corner case is likely to accomplish
> little except breaking other corner cases.

I can see that Lamar and I are going to have major problems dealing with
users who fall over these problems.  There are some things that simply
cannot be handled automatically, such as user-written functions that
return opaque.  Then there are issues of ordering; and finally the fact
that we need to use the new pg_dump with the old binaries to get a
useful dump.

It seems to me that I shall have to make the new package such that it
can exist alongside the old one for a time, or else possibly separate
7.3 pg_dump and pg_dumpall into a separate package.  It is going to be a
total pain!

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet      not I, but Christ
livethin me; and the life which I      now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son      of God, who loved me,
andgave himself for me."                                               Galatians 2:20