Re: - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 05:20, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > On Tuesday 10 September 2002 11:43 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> AFAIK, we did what we could on that front in 7.2.1.  If you have ideas
> >> on how we can retroactively make things better, I'm all ears ...
>
> > So this release is going to be the royal pain release to upgrade to?
>
> pg_dumpall from a 7.2 db, and reload into 7.2, is broken if you have
> mixed-case DB names.  AFAIK it's okay if you use a later-than-7.2
> pg_dumpall, or reload with a later-than-7.2 psql.  If Oliver's got
> info to the contrary then he'd better be more specific about what
> he thinks should be fixed for 7.3.  Griping about the fact that 7.2.0
> is broken is spectacularly unproductive at this point.

I ran pg_dumpall from 7.3 on the 7.2 database.  So I am talking about
the pg_dump that is now being beta-tested.  Because of the major changes
in 7.3, the 7.2 dump is not very useful.  I am *not* complaining about
7.2's pg_dump!

Let me reiterate.  I got these problems dumping 7.2 data with 7.3's
pg_dumpall:

1.  The language handlers were dumped as opaque; that needs to be
changed to language_handler.

2.  The dump produced:    CREATE TABLE cust_alloc_history (        ...       "year" integer DEFAULT
date_part('year'::text,               ('now'::text)::timestamp(6) with time zone) NOT NULL,        ...   ERROR:  Column
"year"is of type integer but default expression is

of type double precision           You will need to rewrite or cast the expression

3.  A view was created before one of the tables to which it referred.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet      not I, but Christ
livethin me; and the life which I      now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son      of God, who loved me,
andgave himself for me."                                               Galatians 2:20