Re: Script to compute randon page cost - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brett Schwarz
Subject Re: Script to compute randon page cost
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 01:16, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> >Assuming it's giving out correct information, there seems to be a lot of
> >evidence for dropping the default random_page_cost to 1...
> >
> >Chris
> >

> Some time ago Joe Conway suggest a tool based on a genetic algorithm
> which tries to find the best parameter settings.
> As input the user could use a set of SQL statements. The algorithm will
> try to find those settings which lead to the lowest execution time based
> on the set of SQL.
>
> What about something like that?
> This way people could tune the database theirselves.

I actually had starting coding a tool like this, but have become
distracted with other things. I plan on continuing with it maybe next
week. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know...
   --brett

--
Brett Schwarz
brett_schwarz AT yahoo.com