Re: Running postgres on a read-only file system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Running postgres on a read-only file system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> One more idea, is it possible to "fake" a read-write file system.  I.e.
> supply the files that postgresql will be looking for? (I know it's a
> stretch, but hey, this IS the "hackers" list)  :)

One of the tricks I use for diskless systems is to mount a ramdrive in a
union mount with a read only nfs mount.  This allows filewrites (to the
ram drive) but old originals are retrieved from the ramdrive.

This is done on FreeBSD, but is effective enough for getting a fully
functioning system (yes, Postgresql included).  Takes quite a bit of ram
though.

Perhaps there is a toolkit for windows that can do similar union mounts?