Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5957: createdb with description and md5 auth forces to provide password twice - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5957: createdb with description and md5 auth forces to provide password twice
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Prior to PG 8.2, this was necessary to put the comment on the database,
> but now that we have the shared comment/description table
> pg_shdescription, this is not necessary.

> Do we need createdb to be able to create databases for pre-8.2 clusters?
> If not, the attached patch fixes the double-prompting.

Well, if you're only going to change this in HEAD, that might be an
acceptable limitation, but if you intend to back-patch I think not.
Older versions of createdb are probably significantly more likely to
be used with even-older servers.

Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to test the server version and only
reconnect if it's pre-8.2.