Re: journaling in contrib ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brett Schwarz
Subject Re: journaling in contrib ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers

or http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss/index.html

> > > why would I
> > > install pgaccess if all I want to do is monitor?  Now, to be able to
> > > install pgaccess and have pgmonitor tie into *that* would be cool ...
> > >
> > > 'bigger is better' is MicroSloth's philosophy ... sounds like the PgAccess
> > > guys are adopting it too? :(
> >
> > I assume pgmonitor will just be a new tab in the pgaccess window.  It is
> > integrated only in that it is part of the tcl scripts supplied.
>
> Right, but, if its 'integrated', then I have to download the whole thing
> ... I only want pgmonitor, so how can I get that now?
>
> Again, if they do it *properly*, it should be a seperate module you can
> download, enable in a config file for pgaccess and have show up ... but it
> should be runnable standalone, with all the extras ...

Ok, this is a little off topic for this thread, but maybe I can clear
this up really quick, so things can move on.

We wanted to have capabilities that PGMonitor provides, in PGAccess. So,
we asked Bruce if we could just integrate PGMonitor, and he said yes. To
me, it makes sense. Of course you can argue forever on which is better:
one big app that contains all the functionality, or several small apps
that spread the functionality (ala unix utils). You will get valid
arguments on both sides...it is more of a preference thing I believe.

Currently, I am integrating it into PGAccess, and I did have to make
some modifications for it to work (sorry Bruce...not too many though).
However, it is my intention to make this more of a plugin, and also be
able to run standalone. So, if you *don't* want PGMonitor, then you
don't have to have it, but you will also be able to call PGMonitor by
itself (I really haven't decided on a best method yet).

So, to answer your question, in the future, you will be able to use
PGMonitor standalone. I assumed this from the beginning, since existing
users of PGMonitor may not want to use PGAccess (like yourself).
   --brett

Brett Schwarz
brett_schwarz AT yahoo.com