Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 20:41, Dann Corbit wrote:
> I have discussed the idea of contributing our Win32 work to the
> PostgreSQL project with management.
>
> We have also converted all of the utilities (initdb, psql, pg_dump,
> pg_restore, pg_id, pg_passwd, etc.)
>
> Management is (rightfully) concerned about recouping the many thousands
> of dollars invested in the Win32 conversion.
>
> I pointed out that future versions would contain our enhancements and
> therefore benefit us directly.

Also, having some other win32 port as an official version would make it
even harder for them to recoup their money. Saying that your verison is
the base of the "official" is always a good selling point.

They can advance (a little) their recouping only in case when not
contributing delays the native win32 port by some significant amount of
time and at the same time postgreSQL somehow magically becomes popular
among Win32 folks.

I doubt that the last two can happen simultaneously.

> I pointed out that maintenance is 80% of the cost of a software system
> and a world-wide team of good programmers would be maintaining the code
> for all to benefit.

It also gives your customers a guarantee for the case you company goes
belly-up, which /could/ also be a selling point ;)

> And last but not least, good computer Kharma.
> ;-)

You could also mention the argument of "having bigger pies vs. having a
bigger slice of a tiny pie" ;)

Hannu