Re: Database comparison ideas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: Database comparison ideas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 20:54, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Dann,
>
> > From a growth standpoint, I think it is a much better idea to focus on
> > their strong points.  Look at the things each competitor can do best.
> > Try to think of ways to get the same functionality from PostgreSQL.  If
> > it is impossible [or currently infeasible] to meet the functionality,
> > then close the gap.
>
> You are, of course, correct.     We will have to prioritize which "gaps" mean
> the most to us.   For example, if I was to make a "top six list":
>
> -- Lack of comprehensive GUI admin tools
> -- Lack of replication and point in time recovery
> -- PL/pgSQL does not 100% replace PL/SQL or T-SQL Stored Procedures
> -- Miscellaneous speed/optimization issues
> -- Need good GUI installer, including installer for Postgres+PHP+Apache
> -- Win32 Port
I know I (not knowing Oracle PL/SQL) have a hard time find enough docs
on PL/pgSQL, even with buying Bruce's and the German PG Developers
books.

I'm personally having a hard time learning all the in's and out's of the
trigger/rule stuff.  I know I can use more of them, but have a hard
time.