Re: Help automate pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tycho Fruru
Subject Re: Help automate pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 12:42, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 12:32:29PM +0200, Tycho Fruru wrote:

> > Try " ps exwww " and see the environment variables of all processes
>
> Hmm, on linux this only shows the environment for your own processes. Does
> this work differently on other systems?
>
> $ cat /proc/1/environ
> cat: /proc/1/environ: Permission denied
>
> and if you're root, who cares?

I tried this a long time ago (perhaps too long ago :-) with success.

(checking different versions)
It does the right thing (limit access) at least since 2.2.0
Looking at the source I think that in the 1.2 series it was still a
problem (ie. you could see other user's environments)

I'm growing old too fast.

T.

--
Tycho Fruru                            tycho@fruru.com
"Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."

Attachment