Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 09:07, Jan Wieck wrote:
> Dann Corbit wrote:
> >
> > The startup stuff for PostgreSQL is just a few files.  It does not seem
> > insurmountable to change it.  But it is none of my business.  If it is a
> > major hassle (for reasons which I am not aware) then I see no driving
> > reason to change it.
>
> It has to be changed for Windows, it is a major hassle for reasons I
> wasn't aware of, and I am half way through ;-)

Well, if you're going to go through the trouble of rewriting postmaster
to be win32 specific, you might as well make it hook into the services
control panel.

If I recall, shared memory is "owned" by a process in Win32 (please
correct as needed...as I've slept since I last looked).  That means that
the postmaster process not only owns the shared memory but needs to make
sure that it's persists as the rest of postgres is expecting.

Please provide more details as to the nature of your Win32 changes.  I'm
certainly curious.  If you've already covered them, just say so...I have
no problem going back to the archives! :)

Greg