Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ulrich Drepper
Subject Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 11:23, Tom Lane wrote:

> Unix systems have
> *always* interpreted time_t as a signed offset from the epoch.

No.  This always was an accident if it happens.

> Do you
> really think that when Unixen were first built in the early 70s, there
> was no interest in working with pre-1970 dates?  Hardly likely.

There never were files or any system events with these dates.  Yes.

And just to educate you and your likes: the majority of systems on this
planet use mktime this way.  I hate using this as an argument, but
beside major Unixes M$ systems also do this.

> But you will end up reverting this change due to pushback
> from users.  Want to make a side bet?

Sure.  Especially not everybody is that stubborn.